One pebble tossed in the water can create ripples that go far. I launched Ripple – Peace Research & Consulting, LLC to help mission-driven organizations become more effective when working in situations of social and political conflict, injustice and fragility. Ripple serves in every region of the world, and close to home in the USA.
As Principal Consultant, I bring 20 years of experience to Ripple’s strategy, monitoring, evaluation and learning services, including customized support for faith-based and interreligious approaches. I am serious about working in ways that put local people first and respect the uniqueness of their contexts. My working languages are English and Spanish. For more information, please see my bio or recent sample projects.
Context-Driven Strategy Development
Conflict-affected contexts can be baffling. A strong strategy begins with an analysis of the context, as a foundation for determining how to influence change. I focus on large-scale analysis through participatory approaches. Where appropriate, I integrate responsiveness to the key global themes of identity-based conflict, gender, climate and migration. Applications include humanitarian, development, advocacy, human rights and peacebuilding strategies.
Approaches and Tools:
- Conflict Systems Analysis
- Making Sense of Turbulent Contexts
- Conflict sensitivity integration
- Training for analysis and strategy facilitators
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning for Peace and Justice Initiatives
My monitoring, evaluation and learning work centers around justice and peace initiatives, building squarely on my thematic expertise. The emphasis is on utilization-focused approaches that support organizational learning and adaptation, particularly in complex or violent contexts. Applications cover a wide range of evaluative learning projects on themes such as inter-ethnic collaboration, interreligious action, and peace-related advocacy.
Approaches and Tools:
- Collaborative Action Research
- Outcome Harvesting – as an alternative to results-based management in complex contexts or participant empowerment programs
- Outcome Harvesting + Attitude Change – as an adaptation for interreligious peace initiatives in which individual internal transformation is an essential component of program success, spearheaded with Tearfund and Peace Catalyst International
- Primarily Qualitative Methods – interviews, focus groups, thematic coding, and participatory data analysis, supplemented where appropriate by simple but meaningful surveys
Customized Support for Faith-Based and Interreligious Action
When partners request it, I tailor my services to fit the motivations and rhythms of the faith-based sector. This always requires an understanding of religious perspectives as central to justice and peace. In some cases, it also requires attention to the unique needs of small, hyperlocal teams. I have a track record of adapting industry-standard approaches for successful use within interreligious action organizations. On average, half of Ripple’s partners are faith-based.
If you’d like to explore collaboration, please contact me here to start a conversation. Many thanks!